I saw this story on Koptalk, but didn’t think a lot of it. Then I thought I’d see where the story came from, because although I’ve had little time to read sports news on the net this week I still would have thought it would have cropped up somewhere…
Reged: Jul 28 2003
Pennant splits from girlfriend
#1662481 – Mon Oct 02 2006 10:16 PM
Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant has reportedly split with his girlfriend.
It is claimed that the 23-year old Reds star has dumped his long-term girlfriend Laura Wallis for Candy McCulloch, daughter of Ian McCulloch, lead singer of Echo and The Bunnymen.
Jermaine and Laura were together for 4 years and she stood by him when he was sent down for drink-driving in 2004. As a result, she’s said to be heartbroken by the split.
The couple were due to move into an apartment together in Barnet, North London last month but on the weekend the sale went through, it’s claimed that he was out on a date with Candy.
Pennant was photographed with Candy by the press last Tuesday after allegedly spending the night with her at his luxury dockside apartment but a spokeman played down their relationship.
The spokesperson said: “Jermaine and Laura have split up. Candy has been showing him around Liverpool.”
We’re not really that bothered about what lass he’s shacked up with but we include such items because private matters can sometime explain a player’s dip in form, as Steven Gerrard confessed in his autobiography.
So, I did a search on Google News for the story. Google News carries stories from most of the nationals in the UK. My search was (without quotes) “Jermaine Pennant girlfriend”. It brought back five results.
From a good while ago there was one from The S*n, it wasn’t this story.
So the other four – where were they from? Well only two of them came before the story appeared in Koptalk, and they were both from the paper all Liverpool fans avoid, Dunk’s favourite, The S*n. Here’s the four…
- Bad boy Pennant steals Candy – The Sun Mon, 02 Oct @ 02:34
- FOOTBALL ace Jermaine Pennant has dumped his long-term girlfriend … – The Sun Mon, 02 Oct @ 03:13
- Candy McCulloch Bags Herself Liverpool Footballer Jermaine Pennant … – Entertainmentwise Mon, 02 Oct @ 10:16
- The Page Which Is Utter Rubbish Today – Football365.com Mon, 02 Oct @ 12:50
It’s just a coincidence that the story in “Entertainmentwise” was published at the same time as Oldham published it (I’ve already checked the “Whois” records for that site, just in case). Football365 picked it up two-and-a-half hours later. Oldham picked it up when he read it in his daily-delivered copy of that rag.
Do you still think that Duncan “Dunk” Oldham is a Liverpool fan? That he chose this story of all those printed by that vermin publication to use on his site – a story painting one of our players in a bad light in this way – is a big enough sign of how anti-LFC he really is. But to use the S*n, again, like this, is proof of how much of a real piece of scum he really is.
Anyone still want to defend Oldham as a fine upstanding Liverpool supporter? If you do, you really don’t understand why the boycott of the S*n still goes on to this day. Learn about it, please. Despite attempts by Koptalk to soften our stance against The S*n, nobody has said the boycott has ended. It hasn’t. And it won’t end because Dunk tells us to end it. It’s not my decision either, but I expect the first step towards the boycott ending is that the “newspaper” makes an apology which contains no reservations. As Kenny Dalglish once said to Kelvin McKenzie, the piece of scum who was editor the day the S*n boycott began, the only way to make it right is to print, “We Lied” in letters as big as they printed “The Truth” above their lies. Even that may not be enough now, 17 years later. And Dunk thinks it doesn’t matter.
Boycott the S*n supporting Koptalk.coN. Spread the word again. Write to any celebrity Reds you can think of – perhaps starting tonight with Mac from the Bunnymen. And don’t assume someone else will do it for you – the more that write the more attention it gets.
* If you are a fairly new Liverpool supporter and don’t know about the boycott of the S*n or the reasons behind it, may I suggest you read this – http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/dalglish.shtm. It’s taken from the autobiography of the player most Reds consider the best of all time. Kenny Dalglish. He was hit hard by the Hillsborough disaster, more than I can ever even come close to imagining, and outraged by what the S*n wrote. That page is Kenny’s recollection of the disaster and the way The S*n reported it. It’s not easy reading, I promise you, but please read it. And read the rest of that site. We should never forget the 96, nor should we forget the way they were treated by that newspaper. The boycott is there for a good reason.